Saturday, March 1, 2008

caffeination

so i dont think caffeination is a word. i am making up words as i type. i have now gone a few days without coffee (colleen has inspired me). here's the log:

Wednesday the 27th-no coffee beans at home. fall for Starbuck's marketing ploy and buy newly practiced espresso for mike and i. pleasantly surprised at the taste.

Thursday the 28th-no coffee beans - day 2. have to get to the church by 10 to meet alex and yarek. no caffeine break. feels ok and resists red bull in the coffeehouse. crunches numbers: i could save money AND calories if i quit drinking coffee. no headache at 3 pm. thinks, "i can do this".

Friday the 29th-no coffee again but does get Taco Bell in a hurry over the hill. drinks part of Mike's Mtn Dew and feels good. Goes shopping for a dress for a wedding and can't decide. drive back home (after seeing men from WestGate [long story]).

Saturday the 1st-went without caffeine again. passed up the coffee at the bridal shower as well. had a pretty good headache today. thinks she is nuts and will HAVE to drink some in the morning to make it through sunday. wishes it was monday and dreads what kind of headache she will have on monday with no coffee and lots of meetings. rethinks whole concept. dreams of going to the store and buying beans and then the beans become alive and attack her and take her money in Aisle 4B. wakes up in night sweats. 

p.s. on public t.v. they are showing the Clash---- infomercial style. Public TV goes hip!
"I broke the law and law won!"

2 comments:

Franny said...

Yeah, I couldn't do that. I gave up coffee for about a week to see if that was causing the palpitations I was having (it wasn't, my anemia was). That was a really lame week. I don't drink milk (I am really grossed out by the texture and taste, unless it's goats milk) so I drink lowfat in my lattes and soymilk in my drip coffee. I would save a lot of money if I quit too, but since I don't sleep, I have to keep drinking in order to be civil.

If you get back on the wagon, I suggest Peet's New Guinea Highlands and Sumatra coffee beans. So good.

Colleen Franklin said...

SO, Sarah, I am completely surprised! I never dreamed you would go caffeine-free! Gosh, and you seemed so normal when I saw you on Sunday! I honestly don't know how I made it through the first 40 days w/o it. I think b/c it was Lent last year, and so I could classify it in my head as a spiritual thing, a fst instead of doing it just because it was good for me (although that's a good reason, but isn't it hard to do things just b/c they're good for you?) Anyway. I went to Peet's and got a really good decaf blend, and some nice decaf Irish Breakfast Tea from Trader Joe's. And I drank as much as I wanted of either, and took a daily dose of Advil. It wasn't as major as I thought it would be.
And now, I'm still off it, but I'm tired too! Some one told me that pectin is a natural upper, so if you eat an apple it'll give you a boost, not of the Red Bull variety, but your insides will like you a lot more. So wow! You go girl, talk about a counter cultural move! And again, this was just my wierd thing I did, I'm no Decaf Gestapo. If you go back to caffeine, I won't think less of you! How's Mike taking this?