Friday, February 1, 2008

sarah is an insomniac

Sleep.

i dont love sleeping. i know i need it. i cant really go to bed right now. i am wide awake.

i was always really jealous of those people who function on 2-3 hours of sleep a night. i wish i could do that and not be a lunatic the next day. (I am sorry for all the people i have come into contact and have been subject to the next-day wrath). i typically need 9-10 hours of sleep a night but the last few weeks, i just cant get to bed before 11 and have to get up in the morning semi early (which is relative, to be honest).

so the bedtime ritual is this the last week or so: 
go to bed around 11. 
lay there for an hour. 
watch south park or listen to the history channel and try to sleep while mike is awake next to me. 
roll around for a half an hour and pray. 
count sheep. 
lose track of a sheep and go looking for it. 
bring it back into the pen and count again. 
roll around and try to get comfortable. 
feel my neck tighten. do neck loosening exercises on my pillow. 
look at the clock from across the room. 
pray again that i will be functional in the morning. 
finally fall asleep. 
(but wake up sometime that night to one or more of the following: rain shower, cat fight, skunk spraying my house).

maybe mike's lack of sleep is rubbing off on me. maybe i am becoming elderly and need less sleep than the past and function on less sleep. maybe my body is in "fight or flight" mode and cannot relax and is feeling as though i have to fend off a hyena in a tribal country. 

but here it is, 12:53 am (which is early for some of my fellow blogging friends) and i am awake, enjoying the warm glow of the computer screen.  

off to bed i go. 
wide awake i will be.

1 comment:

Franny said...

I used to complain about being an insomniac, but now I realise I can't function WITH sleep. You can take all mine, I don't mind.