Friday, February 1, 2008

inconsequential holidays and their meaning in the marriage covenant (a.k.a. V-Day and what it means to me)

I have been asked a few questions about V-Day and marriage lately. (note to reader: this isn't a deep blog post at all. If you are looking for deep, go find Shannon Marie or Havens. But tonight, i'm blogging on inconsequential holidays and their meaning in the marriage covenant. Not to say that the rest of my posts are too deep).  And well, in less than 14 days, many, many Americans will spend lots of money on their other half and celebrate the black hole holiday called Valentine's Day. Although, I am now married and in a committed long term relationship (i guess that is what marriage is :)), Valentine's Day brings many memories to my mind. 

Some Valentine's Day Highlights:
  • a certain boy, who will remain nameless, gave me some great eighties earrings and a necklace in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Asked me to "go around" with him and I said no. 
  • Who doesn't remember getting 9,000 Valentine's Day cards in elementary school, waiting for "that guy" to make you one. Then you receive them and each of them is from your 3 best friends, faking the guy's signature. 
  • junior high and high school years were a bit of a blur, but it seemed as though I would "date" a guy, but we'd get together over Christmas vacation or on that week back in school and then break up right before V-Day. Or break up with me on the day.
  • dated a guy in college who broke up with me on February 12th. I went out with the ladies and had a single girl's night out on V-Day. Then he wanted to get back together right as the 14th ended. I think it might have been a bit shady...I cant help but wonder if that was out of convenience. 
As i have been married, a few Valentine's Day highlights have been:
  • I'm sure we did something when we first were engaged. but sadly, i couldnt tell you what that was. 
  • first V-day as a married couple: watched all the kids at SCBBC for a fundraiser for a high school missions trip.
  • second V-day, probably ate at applebee's or taco bell as we just resigned from SCBBC 4 days before.
  • Third V-day, first in Santa Cruz...we both can't remember what we did. 
  • This year...probably going to have our first "romantic" night out for the holiday. Maybe. But honestly, we're kind of lazy. So we'll probably just have Ramen and beer.
What are my thoughts on V-Day, you ask? well, love should be a year around event. not once a year. share your love with friends, family and loved ones all the time. Not just on one of the biggest consumeristic holidays of the year. It's fun to love someone or everyone on that day, too. don't get me wrong. Shower the love. Maybe I'll make valentine's day cards for everyone this year. yet again, i am lazy so i probably won't and just eat Ramen and watch TLC. 

5 comments:

Franny said...

Ramen, beer and TLC sounds like a good date to me !

Or maybe some scotch and Dostoevsky. (I got that from Anne Lamott).

Jon said...

after all these years, i still have people call me Havens.

funny thing is, i actually don't mind

sarah said...

i have so many jons in my life, how can i differentiate? i have to just call them all by their last names. at least yours is nice sounding.

old habits die hard.

sarah said...

and my "jon" i mean "jon"....not a prostitute or pimp.

thought i better make that clear.

Colleen Franklin said...

Beer and ramen? Sign me up! Is that ramen cooked in beer? That could be interesting.