Friday, September 12, 2008

A Quick Analysis on the New Gavin Rossdale Song

Ok, I am not usually this picky about music (ok, I really am, I will be honest) but I have noticed two things about this new song. As you may know, Gavin Rossdale was the lead singer of the mid-90's band, Bush, who had major success in the alternative air waves, then met Gwen Stefani, decided to date, get married and be a house husband while Gwen toured the world with all her CD's she has made with her band No Doubt and in her solo career. If you remember, Gavin was a hot commodity in the 90's with all the alterna-chicks and post grunge kids. I was a big, big fan. 

Now, about 12 years later, he has released his first solo album (that I am aware of) with a hit song called "Love Remains the Same". My experience with this song has been on 1) soft rock radio stations and 2) TV commercials for "The Biggest Loser" and a new movie with Richard Gere and some other middle aged lady as they dance on the beach in their cashmere sweaters. Now, I know this pins me as a soft rock listener (only when I am stuck in traffic as they are the only stations that offer traffic updates) and a commercial watcher (i do watch TV, I will be honest), but I will let you be the judge.

But here's my question-has Gavin just sold out to what would make him a little bit of money? Or maybe he's aged and this is his new market? OR there are no other good songs for commercials since the Jay Leno lookalike from American Idol who sang the jingle the Ford commercials? Maybe some of these artists are not wanting to go the way of the commercial jingle or maybe commercial marketers are very particular whose songs they pick? Either way, I am a little sad to see Gavin Rossdale go the way of the middle aged movie and letting go of his youth. Yet...it was 12 years ago and well, things change. We age. And so does Gavin.

5 comments:

Gibbytron said...

He could be "re-inventing" himself, but my guess is he's selling out. Part of that is his age. He's 42. His earlier sounds wouldn't appeal to a younger crowd, methinks (Gwen ain't a youngin' at 38, either!) Anyway, you get old, and generally, your sound will mellow. But it's all for da money, and sometimes it pays off, big time. Look at Rod Stewart!!

Derek said...

My 2 cents - when I first heard the song, I blamed Gwen. But I haven't heard it in a little while. Maybe I'm watching the wrong TV commercials.

Michelle said...

Yeah, I was just thinking that he's solo now, married, older, and having children makes you more sentimental. It really just does.
Just found your blog! So fun! I've been a blogger since mid-July, and love it, and am wondering if you can tell me how you get your blog posts to show up on your Facebook profile page?

Charlie said...

I have thought the same thing about that song. It's seriously listen-at-work type of music.
My diagnosis is that when you're older and complacently happy with your life, and not angry at your father anymore-- your songs get mellow.

Shannon Marie said...

i didn't think he was hot until i noticed he was old. and that he has brown eyes. i didn't like his old grungy deal, but i really like this uh, old dude thing he's got going on.