Friday, September 12, 2008

Pregnant Diaries: First Belly Rub by a Stranger

Ok, so this is a complaint for some, some find it endearing. I was in my chiropractor's office who shares an office with a cute older midwife. She seems so sweet. There was a lady who had a newborn (like under 8 weeks) with her. Somehow or another, I find myself in conversation with those ladies, who ends up asking how far along I am. The midwife, who probably touches bellies on a daily basis, touches mine ever so briefly and says, "what...16 weeks?" I'm a bit caught off guard thinking i might look farther along than I actually am, I correct her and say, "14 weeks actually" and then I was ushered into my chiropractor's office. It was a brief interaction but has now been a life altering experience as I know it will only get worse from here.

I'm still trying to decide how I feel about this. It wasn't a TOTAL stranger-I mean she's a midwife, and touches bellies all the time, but was totally caught off guard since I was not her patient and I am not protruding like a true, full term pregnant woman. I am slightly flattered. Slightly weirded out. Slightly intrigued. Slightly excited for the many more hands to touch the Martin baby. Slightly freaked out by all the guys who hit on pregnant women and wonder if I am next (I'm not kidding, I have seen it in action). But in the mean time, I am going to relish in this new milestone - I have officially had my belly touched by a stranger. 

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Yes, the belly rub by a stranger. I have to say I actually loved it...okay, maybe not the actual rubbing part, but the whole "I am pregnant-look at me" experience. I had one guy rub my belly for good luck (we were in Tahoe) and many-a-filipino rub the belly (I work in healthcare). I was guilty of grabbing people's hands and placing them on my belly when Ezekiel was doing his workout regime in there. I think I might have freaked out a few people. haha

Charlie said...

I had a woman insist on painting my belly.

She was so persistent, that I eventually let her. And it was weird.

Colleen Franklin said...

Carmen had a life drawing class and encouraged (I'd say 'coerced' but that sounds too strong) me into being the model when I was almost full term.(I had to insist on clothes!)

Michelle said...

Yeah, that's a milestone. But I don't know, she still should have asked. That's what I think.

Nini said...

Random people touching pregnant bellies, regardless of how far along you are is just not right. I love touching prego bellies, but I always ask a friend before I do... Would you ever walk up to someone you don't know and just touch her belly or even ask to?! Heck, I feel like I have to ask my closest friends..can't imagine just touching someone I don't even know. So strange. She should have at least asked.

and you DON'T EVEN LOOK PREGNANT at all yet...you will probably be one of 'those' girls who are only basketball belly. You saw me today...I am NOT just a basketball belly!