Tuesday, January 15, 2008

It's Called "American" Idol for a Reason

I just finished watching the season premiere of American Idol. There's always some talent and some entertainment to the biggest reality TV show, especially in the first few episodes. Funny thing is, people go on there, audition horribly or dress up like their favorite character and in their delusion, think they will make it through to the next round. 

There was a girl at the end that dressed like Princess Leia and doesn't get picked (go figure). Then she goes off about how American Idol only picks people who look the same, act the same, that they don't like uniqueness. She wasn't absolutely horrible (but by no means good), singing wise, but come on, you are in a Princess Leia outfit-the hair buns and all. 

These were the things rolling around in my head after Princess Leia spoke of such things. Ok, in an ideal world, we'd not judge people by their costuming, and everyone would get a fair chance to make it "big". ( ed note: In Jesus' eyes, everyone is beautiful. Unfortunately, since the fall, we probably have a pretty skewed view of beauty.) But "making it big" is an American concept in and of itself. The fact that Kelly Clarkson can go onto a game show and get a record contract and tour the world (and, funny, she can sing) is not something that most of the world could offer or even values. And being the "American" idol is a lot to live up to with our American values. In this competition, people are judged not just on how well they could sing, but if they could captivate an audience and make Simon (and the contestant) a lot of money. Pop culture and music is made to reach the masses (reason being for the name "popular"). Pop music isnt usually for the crazy artistic (although some is) but is catchy for the non-musical masses. The same goes for American Idol. You need to be catchy, carry a tune, be able to do some runs, and sell albums. Im not sure how much it's about people achieving big dreams with big skill as it is about making a big buck off someone with big dreams and big skill. and knowing what American society will vote on. I don't know.

And in the case of Princess Leia, "unique" doesn't have a wide range of an audience (it's usually a niche group of followers), there's no way that person could sell a ton of records (unless you are William Hung). And buns or not, she is not an amazing singer (which Simon did say in previous seasons, "this is a singing competition").

I don't know about you, but if I was going to audition, this would be going through my mind. I couldn't blame Paula, Simon or Randy if I showed up as Princess Leia and they told me no. I would look quite silly and not even know if i could be taken seriously. (Professionalism does say something. :)) 

Again, I'm not totally against American Idol or for the fun it provides for the person on Tuesday nights. I like the show. It's fun. I love it, i really do! It's just funny hearing Princess Leia go off about this "uniqueness" and I had to blog about it. I don't even know if i agree with what i just blogged. I just had to get my thoughts out of my head and onto the blog. (And maybe have created controversy? or a wise crack or two?)

1 comment:

Ms. Lauren said...

I did see the show last night -yes, ok, I watch it and love it too! - and I actually don't totally agree with many that say that they DONT always choose what is "mainstream" or beauty by American standards. Princess Leia did come in honestly looking non-professional and kind of admitting it, and could not sing. Not that the show isn't a joke, but, it is successful in achieving what its creators want. If you look at previous seasons, winners and even some that got through this time, many were not all the stereotypical media pushed form of what we think of as "beautiful" - but instead they had the great voice and personality that made the deeper beauty come out.

Sometimes those who aren't mainstream have to work a little harder to get there in this world, but maybe in the end the payoff is better.