Saturday, August 23, 2008

10 Reasons Why I Like the Olympics

10. The smorgasbord of events that happen during the day. Yes, I hate basketball, but I know if I grin and bear it for a little while, something actually interesting will come on in the next hour or so. Say, synchro diving.

9. The fact that it is held all over the world each Olympic year. I think it is so neat to see so many nations come to one particular spot for 2 weeks. And the fact that cities beat each other to be the Olympic city. It's a war out there, people.

8. Who knew that "recognised sports" of the International Olympic Committee range from the typical (track and field, aquatics) to the...unusual (billiards, orienteering, tug of war, wushu). They may not actually compete in the 2008 games, but dang it, they are recognized!

7. I am usually on vacation during the olympic games, watching it on another TV other than my own, usually somewhere warm.

6. I feel a little bit better about my TV watching during this time than others-I mean, it's history in the making as I watch someone break a world record (much better than watching Project Runway reruns or "Jon and Kate plus 8" for the fifth time in a day).

5. Call me a dork, but I love the hype. And there is usually some kind of drama. I like drama. From far away and someone else living it out for me.

4. David Letterman's top 10 countdown is usually hilarious during the Olympics, when I can stay up late enough to watch it.

3. 3 words: Opening Ceremony outfits.

2. The fierceness of Rhythmic Gymnastics. Now that is a hard core sport. You can just feel Zoolander-esque staredowns.

1. The fact that it is only 2 weeks. Really, if it was 4 weeks or 8 weeks or 6 months of fierce competition, would we really look forward to the next four years (well 2 years for winter), like a lady in waiting? 
I don't think so.

No comments: